T or F
4. The “SPECIFIER” should always be listed first on an ARGUMENT STRUCTURE.
5. Finite verbs refer to verbs that are marked for tense (past or present).
6. Proper nouns are usually used without determiners.
7. Auxiliary verbs behave similarly to main verbs.
8. Turning sentences into passive will completely change their meaning.
9. Certain transitive verbs, such as fit, do not have passive forms.
10. Particles behave differently from prepositions; in that they can occur
after the object (e.g. I looked the word up).
11. Onomatopoeic words are the same in all languages.
12. The singular-plural distinction is expressed morphologically in English nouns.
13. affixation is a process by which prefixes and suffixes are added to the roots for new word forms.
14. The number of syllables in a word equals the number of morphemes it has.
15. Not all derivational processes change word class.
Choice the correct:
1. In Phrase Structure Rules, a NP can consist of all the following except:
A. An optional Det.
B. Any number of optional A.
C. An obligatory N.
D. A VP.
2. The phrase “new car” in the sentence “Her sister’s new car is cool” is:
B. Full NP
D. Full VP
3. The sentence “If anybody is attending the party, Mary is” is an example of:
4. In the sentence “Kim puts her money under the bed” the verb “puts” selects a
A. One complement.
B. Two complements.
C. Three complements.
D. No complements.
5. The “head” of the NP, “many students”, is:
C. Many students
D. The phrase is headless
6. All the following are verbs that select indirect questions as their complements EXCEPT:
A. Interrogative verbs such as ask and inquire
B. Verbs of knowledge such as know and learn
C. Verbs of increased knowledge such as teach and tell
D. Factive verbs such as claim and deny.
7. A type of noun that is typically uncountable is:
A. Proper nouns B. Pronouns
C. Common nouns
D. Relative nouns
8. Passive sentences require the verb in the passive form to be preceded by:
a. main verb
b. Auxiliary verb
9. Among the verbs that can have [+QUE] and [-QUE] complements is:
10. “That Ali was hungry” is an example of:
T or F